Friday, January 18, 2008

MRI ay ay!

Had the MRI done, MRIs are freaky, freaky things, loud and kind of creepy, I was grateful I went in feet first and had my head out in the open, otherwise I think I would have started hollering for someone to get me out of there. I realize that after you know what to expect the creepiness factor goes away gradually, still the first time MRI is a nerve-racking experience. There was a woman going in after me, she was having a brain MRI, it was her third one – wow – she was a seasoned MRI pro and I was in awe. She was place in that tube in no time and seemed very relaxed and candid. I wish her all of the best.
The MRI woman, Mary, loved my blue and purple scarf that my Mom made for me, she then showed me her various magazines on knitting and told me that she has the desire to create but not the time. I know how she feels, yeah, we all do I reckon.
After I was off the machine she took the IV out (see, I didn’t know I was going to have an IV but there you go, it was to inject the dye…I told you guys this was my FIRST MRI), so anyway after she took it out my arm where the bandage holding the IV in place was red and blotchy, looks like I have a “sensitivity” towards the tegaderm bandages. Then I noticed that a tiny group of veins were turning purplish and Mary says “Oooh, I’ve never seen that before, sit down I want someone to look at that.” So she calls the nurses and they send me back to registration and into the nurse’s station, I had 2 nurses (Donna and Karen) look at my veins, then they called a fellow, and MD, female Dr. Chen, who determined that it was probably some of the dye making it into some minor veins, there didn’t seem to be any blockage. I wasn’t in pain either. Then a full-fledged, seasoned (that word again, well I am kinda hungry) doctor came in and she said is was nothing. Ha! The full-fledged doctors are so used to 15-minute consultations that she could step in, glance at my semi-famous purplish veins and announce it was nothing! Yeah! 3 seconds flat, doc, thanks! Oh, they so not better charge me for that! Anyway, I left with the nurses phone numbers and they took mine, I received great care, so all in all the creepy MRI experience was a good one.
More later…Dr. Jacoby’s office visit.